CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Summer's Coming!

My favorite smell in the summer is from the barbecue.  I know summer's close when I catch a whiff of it when I'm walking home from class.  Now I'm home for the summer, and of course it's raining.  Welcome to Utah in late May.  I'm sitting on the couch listening to Barbecue University on KBYU TV.  Everything featured sounds so amazing, so I'm thinking of what to have for lunch and dinner for the next few days, since it's Memorial Day weekend.  I only wish I were better at the grill.

Here is a recipe that was featured on the show that really jumped out at me.  The chef used this with veal, but since I'm against veal (for those who may not know, veal is white meat from a calf who has never been exposed to the light of day, preventing the meat from the calf from reddening.  To my family, that is nothing short of barbaric).  I personally would use this with pork chops.

Happy barbecuing!



Lemon Oregano Jam
Yield: Makes about 3/4 cup

2 large lemons (preferably with thin rinds)
1/4 cup sugar, or more to taste
1-1/2 teaspoons coarse salt (kosher or sea), or more to taste
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano leaves

  1. Scrub the lemons under cold running water, then pat dry with paper towels. Cut each lemon into 8 pieces and remove and discard the seeds.
  2. Place the lemon pieces and the sugar, salt, and pepper in a food processor and process to a coarse puree.
  3. With the motor running, add the olive oil in a thin stream; the mixture should emulsify, becoming honeylike in consistency.
  4. Add the oregano, pulsing to mix. The jam can be prepared up to this stage and kept, refrigerated, for several weeks.
  5. Transfer it to a clean glass jar, placing a piece of plastic wrap between the top of the jar and the lid to keep the lid from corroding. Bring to room temperature before serving, stir to recombine, and taste for seasoning, adding more sugar, salt, and/or pepper as necessary.

0 comments:

Post a Comment